Sunday, February 26, 2012

Train Birthday

This post is in honor of my little nephew, Benjamin, who is a year old today!

Hudson likes trains A LOT!  I thought it would be fun to throw him a train birthday for his 3rd birthday.  He had a great time and I had a lot of fun putting it together.  I thought I would share some of those ideas in case there is anyone wanting ideas for a little boy's birthday.

CAKE:
This was a little involved, but it was fun to make. 

INGREDIENTS:
- 4 frozen pound cakes
- 4 jars of white frosting
- oreo cookies
- red licorice
- kit kat bars
- one ice cream cone
- one jumbo marshmallow
- gummy bears
- lolly pops
- chocolate mini marshmallows
- food coloring

*Start by placing the poud cakes in a row on a long platter (or a few individual ones taped together)
The pound cakes should be farely easy to shape and cut. 
*The first train I layered pieces of one of the cakes on top of the first cake
*The second and third are regular size pound cake
*The fourth is half of the first pound cake.
*Then I iced it all and decorated it as the picture shows.

This can be done in a much more basic way, but I just kept adding to it :)

GAME #1:
We played "throw the coal into the train"

Draw a basic picture of a train on a pice of posterboard.
Cut a hole in the poster board in the "coal cart"
Get 5 black socks and fill them with beans.
Put rubberbands around the sock to tie it shut, then fold over the sock until it is like a bean bag.
The kids try to throw the bean bags ("coal") into the hole in the poster board ("coal cart").

GAME #2:
Train relay race. 
One child puts on a train outfit (we used a Thomas the Train outfit, but you could dress up as a drain conductor or anything like that) then runs to the other side and takes off that outfit and the next child puts it on etc.  The kids thought it was fun to dress up and run!
Matt had fun with this, too...

And of course, you can't have a party without a pinata!
I didn't make the pinata for this party, but I just made one for another party.  I will share that process and final product later :)






No comments:

Post a Comment